1000 SC 559

Default Asked on February 4, 2013 in Sentence Correction.
Add Comment
5 Answer(s)

One of Ronald Reagan’s first acts as President was to rescind President Carter’s directive that any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States be prohibited from sale to other countries.

(A) that any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States be prohibited from sale to other countries

(B) that any chemical be prohibited from sale to other countries that was banned on medical grounds in the United States

(C) prohibiting the sale to other countries of any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States

(D) prohibiting that any chemical banned on medical grounds in the United States is sold to other countries

(E) that any chemical banned in the United States on medical grounds is prohibited from being sold to other countries

I chose A. Can someone please explain why A is wrong 
Official Answer: C

Default Answered on February 4, 2013.
Add Comment

The phrasing “prohibited from sale” is unidiomatic.I’m sure this can be put in better ways! For e.g.
“directive that any chemical banned… in the US… not be sold to other countries.”

Intermediate Answered on February 4, 2013.
Add Comment

but wouldn’t the correct answer choice ‘C’ should have been – “prohibiting the sale of any chemical …..  to other countries.”

instead of “prohibiting the sale to other countries of any chemical ………” ?
Add Comment

I agree that “prohibiting the sale of any chemical …..  to other countries.” reads much better than
prohibiting the sale to other countries of any chemical ………”

But we have to work with what we get! And on the GMAT, our job is to pick the best of the lot, and not to correct the choices given. 🙂

Intermediate Answered on February 4, 2013.
Add Comment

this is where I get stumped most of the time when I eliminate correct answer choice for a reason and do not come back to it again  🙁 

I have to work more on such pattern….  thanks
Add Comment

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.