OG 10 Q 204

Default Asked on February 16, 2013 in Sentence Correction.
Add Comment
6 Answer(s)
204. In recent years cattle breeders have increasingly used crossbreeding, in part that their steers should
acquire certain characteristics and partly because crossbreeding is said to provide hybrid vigor.
(A) in part that their steers should acquire certain characteristics
(B) in part for the acquisition of certain characteristics in their steers
(C) partly because of their steers acquiring certain characteristics
(D) partly because certain characteristics should be acquired by their steers
(E) partly to acquire certain characteristics in their steers
This is one of the question where I find hitting myself after reading the explanation in OG.
I chose ‘C’ just because I saw “partly because” seems to be parallel and so I eliminated all the other answer choices.
But if I had read the complete answers, it was very easy to find that  ‘C’ is wrong.
I know why E is right and why C is wrong…  can someone please explain on how to handle such question when an option tempts you on vertical reading ??? 
Default Answered on February 16, 2013.
Add Comment

@TEJAS:
The Qs is: In recent years cattle breeders have increasingly used crossbreeding, in part that their steers should acquire certain characteristics and partly because crossbreeding is said to provide hybrid vigor.

Lets replace the option C in the question and see:
[C]: In recent years cattle breeders have increasingly used crossbreeding, partly because of their steers acquiring certain characteristics and partly because crossbreeding is said to provide hybrid vigor.

– do you feel this sentence is verbose and awkward?

[D]: In recent years cattle breeders have increasingly used crossbreeding, partly because certain characteristics should be acquired by their steers and partly because crossbreeding is said to provide hybrid vigor.

– do you see that partly because is repeated twice for no reason? Also, if you think the ‘their steers’ refers to cattle breeders then it is probably because you do not understand the meaning of ‘steers’ see – http://goo.gl/bMDPl .

Hence, C and D are both eliminated and the correct answer is E for Echo.
Default Answered on February 20, 2013.
Add Comment

“their steers” is also used in answer choice E. Then why is E not eliminated.

In answer choice E, “to acquire” seems as if cattle breeders are themselves acquiring
Default Answered on February 21, 2013.
Add Comment

Well, in my experience in any given SC question the correct answer is correct for at least two reasons. You may want to test both if you can spot what are the two errors in the sentence in the question stem. Also, when you read the question you need to understand what the writer is trying to say. Normally I imagine the writer to be a non-native speaker and I feel he wants to say something but does not know how to express his/her thought. So, I am only helping him/her frame the sentence properly. But that is my imagination. You can have something of your own.
In the given example parallelism might prompt you to pick C but that is a trap which the GMAC has designed for you. If you get it too easily you should know that may be you are missing something else and force yourself to read all the options. 
Always remember to read each option. If you can spot an error right away (even if you have read it half way) then discard. Else, if the first pass of reading makes you feel it could be the right answer DO NOT jump for it, just keep it aside. Be patient and read the rest of the options. If none of the rest make any sense then go for the answer you picked first. But do remember to replace the answer option in the Qs stem and see if the entire sentence makes more sense.

The challenge here is once your mind starts liking a given option it is quite tough to force it to read the remaining options. So, you need to break that prejudice in your mind. But then I scored a measly 620, what do I know?
Add Comment

thanks a lot Vasu 

Add Comment

I am confused btw answer choices C and D. what is the correct answer. And on what grounds is the wrong choice eliminated??

Default Answered on February 20, 2013.
Add Comment

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.