OG10 Q 160

8 Answer(s)

Murali,

Option C incorrectly uses the participle ‘for decreasing’ – here, the infinitive form ‘to decrease’ is more appropriate as we want to communicate a particular intent or objective. 
Check out this article.

I would have loved option E to have ‘call’ instead of ‘are calling’, but such is life on the GMAT. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Intermediate Answered on April 2, 2014.
Add Comment

While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change

people’s attitudes toward pirating, others by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the

incentive for pirating, and still others by calling for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.

(A) by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling

(B) by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call

(C) suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call

(D) suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling

(E) suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling

isn’t ‘still other are calling’ breaking the paralellism in ‘E’ ??

Default Answered on April 8, 2013.
Add Comment

For Option (E) I agree except the last sentence ” still others are calling ” rest of the sentence sounds good.

While some propose … others suggest … , and still others are calling…
Default Answered on April 8, 2013.
Add Comment

Never question the OA, Ashwin, however imperfect they may be! ๐Ÿ™‚

Intermediate Answered on April 9, 2013.
Add Comment

I almost fell for option C. ๐Ÿ™‚

and from above, I am guessing the OA is option E.
Intermediate Answered on April 9, 2013.
Add Comment

What’s wrong with option C?

Default Answered on March 29, 2014.
Add Comment

Hi Gowri, 

Thanks for the article. It’s awesome and cleared my doubts. ๐Ÿ˜€
Default Answered on April 3, 2014.
Add Comment

Glad! ๐Ÿ™‚

Intermediate Answered on April 4, 2014.
Add Comment

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.